Driving in France

Driving in the UK and France can be vastly different. There are a number of rules and regulations for driving in France that you need to be aware of before you start your journey.

CRIT'Air Clean Air Sticker

You will need to obtain a Crit'Air: The Air Quality Certificate, if you will be driving in any low emission zones, which includes Paris, Lyon and Grenoble. If you are driving in Europe it is your responsibility to check about low emission zones prior to your journey and ensure you have obtained any required documents/stickers/certificates.


Make sure you are up-to-date on all rules and regulations for driving in France before you start your journey.  This applies to driving both vehicles and motorbikes.

The AA and RAC are great resources for this type of information - the links are given below:

Using Your EHIC in France 

Unlike most European countries, France's National Health System is part-contributory, which means RESIDENTS AND VISITORS have to pay a percentage of their medical expenses themselves as these payments are not covered by your EHIC (European Health Insurance Card).

Important Note:  EHIC does not cover you for emergency medical evacuation and repatriation, lost baggage, travel delay, etc. you should consider travel insurance for that cover.